Saturday, October 6, 2012

A Rye Affair

I love to cook. It is one of those activities that feeds every part of you, nourishing the senses, calming the soul, and providing the elemental needs for pleasure and life itself. Few other activities can be counted on to engage the mind and body so fully and create an environment in which to share that experience with others. There is the possibility of ritual in every meal; an opportunity to explore the connection between us and the earth that sustains us.

The videos from Kitchen Vignettes always have this extended sense of engagement. From growing the food, to its preparation and enjoyment, we are beautifully moved through a process which reconnects us to the world around us.


Of course, in my world, everyone asks, "Is there blood in this?" before they eat...as in YOUR blood? I'm a little scary with knives.


5 comments:

  1. I enjoy cooking, but it's tough to cook for only one. I made a pot of chili this weekend, and I offered some to my neighbor. She took a taste and wheezed, "Oh, my God! What did you put in this stuff?" Just right! If it don't make your scalp itch and your eyelids sweat, it ain't no good.
    I also, in the past 2 weeks, baked a from scratch coconut cream pie, a batch of oatmeal cookies, and a batch of chocolate chip cookies. This coming week I'll make a cherry cream cheese pie, and some bread. I'll be sharing those with the neighbors, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I never thought I would want an ogrrre for a neighbor, but we would move in next to you any day.

      Delete
    2. Tuerqas, if you can shoot and protect my six when TSHTF, you'd be more than welcome.
      There is a down side to eating good food like that: sooner or later, you will no longer be able to see your toes. But, hey, you can't make an omelet without breaking eggs ... mmmmm, eggs!

      Delete
    3. Yeah... eggs. 50+ chickens and counting! We can supply them for the cookin'. I pefer blades to guns, but I do need the dark to make it fair. Plus I am getting old to do more than shoot anyway.

      Referring back to the title, has anyone else tasted rye beer? I have never seen it for sale. I had it once at a beer fest(yeah, we have a lot of those kinds of things in Wisconsin) for microbreweries and it was the best I had ever tasted.

      Delete
    4. If you are in a fair fight, your tactics suck. - possibly USMC
      The best weapon in a gunfight is a sawed-off shotgun from ambush. - Doc Holliday
      There is no such thing as "overkill." There is only "open fire", and "I need to reload." - The 70 Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

      Delete