Monday, December 31, 2012

"...but the best thing about him was his eye."

The most incredible horse to ever live.



I watched him win the Belmont as a very young girl. I had been around horses my whole life, but I really only knew that it was fun to go fast and that my horse loved it as much as I. What I saw that day was that it was more than fun. It was -- to the horse -- his entire reason for being. Secretariat was a horse who vibrated with his own tremendous power. A horse who knew, as every horse does, what it means to run, to fly, but who was given the special gift of exemplifying it for all of us mere humans.

How wondrous. How simple. To do what you were meant to do.

I remember standing in my living room, because one could not sit as they watched that race, and crying...sobbing...laughing. All of it. Even a young child knows when they witness a miracle.

Happy New Year everyone. Let's look for miracles in 2013.

10 comments:

  1. Happy New Year everyone. Let's look for miracles in 2013.

    A very happy New Year to you and yours. Always looking, find one now and then too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A happy happy 2013 to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great video.

    Secretariat was yours, Phar Lap was ours.

    http://museumvictoria.com.au/pharlap/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Morris. Phar Lap was one of the greats, too. And like all great horses, his story was incredible. I LOVED the movie.

      Here's an original video.

      Delete
  4. I didn't know that about you (horses, the noble creatures) - but it fits.
    Let' look for the unexpected in 2013, and ready to be pleasantly surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!

    My New Year Resolution is to laugh more, ride faster, worry less, and be grateful.

    First thing I'm grateful for: I'm so glad the Mayans turned out to be as good at predictions as Nostradamus. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember watching that race too (I grew up on the original Walter Farley books). The main thing I remember is that incredible lead in the final stretch, and while all the other horses looked like they were struggling to even move, he looked so at ease, like an afternoon lope in the park.

    Of course that is how it is with all the greats, they make it look so damn easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. To me the definition of greatness is doing the impossible while making it look effortless.

      And that's why it's so incredibly important that we witness greatness in our lives. Because to see that is to raise our own sense of what is possible, of what is potentially ours to experience. If we witness the miraculous and then just take baby steps to stretch outside our beliefs of what is so, then we are better people.

      Delete